|The Educational Technology Center was established in 1996 to provide specialized services in the fields of educational and information technologies. The center is well equipped and employs qualified staff to meet the growing demand on its services which are outlined below.
Instructional Support Services
This unit is responsible for providing instructional technology and media services which include :
- Conducting faculty development workshops.
- Assisting academic departments to design and develop courses based on the principles of instructional design.
- Hosting and administering e-course management system.
- Helping faculty to design and publish their e-learning courses.
- Acquiring, distributing and maintaining instructional media and related equipment.
- Operating and maintaining the video and audio training studios.
- Recording all university activities, public lectures and ceremonies.
- Providing technical assistance in the design and scanning of OM forms for course evaluation, surveys and objective tests.
The University intranet is a gigabit switched network providing university-wide data communications network. Access to the internet is achieved via wired and wireless leased lines.
This unit is responsible for :
- The planning, design, development, operation and management of the university network.
- Providing uninterrupted direct access to all computing resources and information servers inside and outside the university.
- Monitoring the LAN operations to eliminate congestions or interruptions.
- Taking protective measures to ensure the security of all data and communications all over the LAN.
- Supporting web applications such as on-line registration and e-learning.
- Maintaining all LAN components and facilities.
The number of active ports has increased ten times since our LAN started in 2003. All this expansion was carried out by our qualified technical staff. Another wireless LAN is underway to cope with the increasing demand for intranet and internet services.
Academic Computing Support Services
This unit is responsible for providing computing services to MUST faculties, researches and students. These services include :
- Providing necessary computer units to all academic departments and computer labs all over the university.
- Providing technical support in the area of software installation and troubleshooting.
- Connecting all academic computing facilities to the university network.
- Assisting faculties and departments in introducing computing into the curricula such as making PowerPoint presentations available on-line, designing and developing on-line courses or units, increasing communication and interaction between faculty and students through synchronizing and asynchronizing modes.
- Providing prompt technical support and maintenance for all computing facilities in the university.
Administrative Computing Services
This unit is responsible for developing and maintaining applications for all administrative units in the university.
Currently the following information systems are utilized :
- Students Information System (SIS).
- Hospital Information System.
- Financial System.
- Central Stores System.
- Library Management System.
- Human Resources system.
With the exception of the library management system, all these critical applications were developed in house by our qualified programmers.