The faculty of Oral & dental surgery Misr University for Science and Technology offers the following Degrees:
- Higher Dental Diploma (H.D.D)The study program for diploma degree in all specialties of clinical branches of dentistry as a study after the bachelor.
- Master of dental science (M.D.Sc)This program aims to prepare doctors with a high degree of scientific terms and specialized skills in both basic science and clinical aspect focusing on the practical and clinical aspects.
Procedures to enroll for postgraduate studies
Each department specifies the number of applicants enrolled & the obtained degree according to the following:
- Certificate of the Bachelor degree or its equivalent
- Final accumulated grades of the years of study
- Total score of the major course
- The oldest student applying
Enrollment & studying dates
Each student should apply within one month prior to the beginning of study during Fall & Spring semesters. The academic year is divided as follows:
- First semester starts in September for 15 weeks
- Second semester starts in February for 15 weeks
- Summer semester starts in July for eight weeks
System of study
The university follows the credit hours system. The holder of a bachelor’s degree in special education from Egyptian universities or an equivalent has the right to apply for a master’s degree in one of the specified majors.
- Once credit hour in one course is equivalent to 15 hours of study
- Internal regulations of each faculty specifies the required credit hours
- It takes one hour exam for each credit hour
- Exam results are divided into Oral, Written, & Practical
Documents submission required
- A file folder
- Bachelors certificate with overall GPA & grades obtained during years of study
- Birth certificate or official copy of it
- Six personal photos
- Approval of the specified department
- Submitting all required documents to the postgraduate administration
- Payment of tuition fees in the due time specified by the postgraduate administration
- Foreign students should submit a letter from their Embassy including an approval for enrollment in postgraduate studies & clarifying financial status
- Foreigners should submit a health certificate from Ministry of health
MRD Residency Training Program
MRD Residency Training Program for Membership
The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
Misr University for Science & Technology (MUST)
1. The Membership in Restorative Dentistry Postgraduate Training Program is particularly suitable for practitioners who wish to improve their skills in restorative dentistry and extend their clinical skills to the level of the Membership in Restorative dentistry RCSED examination.
2. Restorative Dentistry embraces the disciplines of Endodontics, Periodontics and Prosthodontics. Candidates are asked to state which of these three aspects of Restorative Dentistry is to be their nominated subject when applying for the examination.
3. Award of the Membership in Restorative Dentistry RCSED depends on evidence that the candidate will have completed a period of three full-time years in appropriate approved posts, courses and programs of training.
4. The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh has inspected and recognized Misr University for Science and Technology as an approved overseas training post for MRD Examination.
5. Training courses are being done at MUST in co ordinance with professors from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
This programme aims at providing education and training for general dental practitioners to enable the delivery of a standard of restorative dentistry at a speciality level that is recognised by primary care trusts, teaching and regulatory organisations.
This programme aims at providing education and training for general dental practitioners to enable the delivery of a standard of restorative dentistry in primary dental care that is recognised by primary care trusts, teaching and regulatory organisations.
Consisting of lectures, practical exercises, small group teaching, journal clubs and written assignments on the following subjects:
Endodontics, periodontics, fixed prosthodontics, Removable prosthodontics, implant dentistry, operative dentistry and dental materials, esthetics, occlusion, diagnoses and treatment planning, evidence based dentistry and radiology
Consisting of workshops, live demonstrations and direct clinical supervision on all aspects of restorative dentistry including laboratory procedures.
Each candidate’s performance will be assessed every 6 months according to:
Assignments and examinations
Log book writing
Individual Course Exams
Critical Appraisal Projects at each Course
Guidelines for restorative residency – MRD program
- Seminars will be given 4 days per week for the first year students.
- The clinics will be open from 9am to 5pm, Five days a week.
- An MRD instructor will be available in the clinic 4 days a week.
- A Consultant for each specialty will be available once a month in the clinic for clinical training.
The available equipments:
- Lecture room
- Study room
- Dental laboratory
- Operatory room:
- 13 dental units Sirona C8 and Adec
- 2 Professional dental microscopes
- Light cure devices
- Intraoral and Extraoral X-ray units
- Ultrasonic scalers
- Professional specific tips for ultrasonic scalars (endodontics , prosthodontics, periodontics and Implants).
- Physiodispenser motors for implant placement
- Surgical kits for implants
- Osteotomes and expanders
- Apex locators
- Endodontic surgical kit
- Retrograde filling kit
- Endodontic motor for Rotary instruments
- Semi adjustable articulators and Facebows
- Thermoplasticised obturation system(Thermafil, system B, obtura II ).
- Intra-oral demonstration camera
- To attend all academic courses and seminars on a daily basis.
- To pass exams given at the end of each course.
- To actively participate in the departmental weekly seminar and restorative meetings.
Prior to start the program
Each candidate should posses:
- A set of scalers & curettes, high speed and air motor hand piece.
- Digital camera and mirrors that can perform intra oral photos.
- All materials and instruments needed for the treatment of patients
Requirements of the program
First year students
Treatment planning and cases presentation.
- Full Diagnosis and treatment planning.
- Stabilization of the case and follow up
- Planning and executing the definitive treatment phase
- Case presentations should be submitted for each case
- 2 cases of periodontology including any of the following:
- Surgical Gingivectomy
- Open flap curettage
- Guided tissue / bone regeneration
- Root resections
- Antimicrobial therapy
- 2 cases of Removable Prosthodontics in any of the following:
- Complete dentures
- Partial dentures
- 2 cases of Fixed Prosthodontics in any of the following:
- Crowns Inlays/Onlays
- Resin retained
- 2 cases of Endodontics including any of the following:
- Non surgical root canal treatment
- Non surgical root canal retreatment
- Periradicular surgery
- Restoration of the root filled tooth
- 10 cases including all of:
- Different classes of cavity preparations
- Anterior composite restorations
- Posterior composite restorations
- Amalgam restorations
- Glass ionomer restorations
- Rubber dam application
- Inlays & Onlays
- 2 cases of implant in any of the following Implant restorations:
- Complete removable
- Fixed complete arch
- Fixed short span
- Single tooth
Evidence based dentistry.
- All cases have to be diagnosed and started under the supervision of a specific consultant and an MRD Instructor and it is the responsibility of each resident to ascertain that the treatment plan and any necessary extraction letters to be signed by each specialty faculty to allow adequate exposure to different treatment modalities & techniques.
- All treatment procedures should be done by the resident himself and documented in the corresponding patients chart dated and finally acquit signed by the consultant
Second year students:
Each candidate is required to prepare four fully documented case histories.
General cases “the long cases”
Two of the case history should each describe the examination , diagnosis ,treatment planning and management of a patient who has received general restorative care of an advanced nature possibly including medical problems and/or a multidisciplinary dental approach .
Specialty cases ” the short cases”
The other two cases should each describe the examination, diagnosis, treatment planning and management of a complex problem within field of the candidate’s nominated subject.
Each of the four fully documented case histories should be submitted electronically (as a PDF) on either a CD- ROM or a USB stick . Radiographs, photographs, transparencies and any other presentation aids should be provided where appropriate and these should be clearly described in the text. The originals should form part of the case history retained be the candidate (a robust, flat type A4 format with clear PVC pockets is recommended).
After the second year, the candidates are expected to have selected their 4 cases which will be submitted to the Royal College for examination.
Within the Third year; the 4 cases should be finalized regarding treatment, at least six months follow up and logbook writing.
At the end of each year
- Present completed and signed forms of all courses attended during their residency.
- Present full pre-and-post records of their cases as well as comprehensive case reports. These cases should include:
- Restorative treatment
- Periodontal treatment
- Implant treatment
- Endodontic treatment
N.B.: In case of failure, to complete the requirements needed for each year and / or breaking the MRD rules, the candidate could be disqualified from the training course and s/he will not be awarded the certificate of training needed by the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
Periodontics & implant dentistry
Operative dentistry & dental materials
Fixed & Removable prosthodontics including laboratory procedures.
- Payment regarding the MRD program is made every six months in April and October.
- Egyptians: 50,000 LE annually
- Non- Egyptians: 5,000 $ annually
- Instruments, materials, and expenses needed for the treatment of patients are of the candidates own responsibility.
For further details please visit:
College of oral and Dental Surgery, is a leading college in private education in Egypt at the local and regional level. It aims at developing students’ skills according to the academic standards and graduates dentists who meet the job market needs. The college also encourages creativity in scientific research and supports community service.
The college achieves an excellent level for its graduates at the local, regional and international level. The colleges seeks high level of education through contributing in researches, science technologies, science of dentistry, and community service.
- Graduating dentists who are skillful, capable of self-learning, can keep up with contemporary and future scientific developments, and be able to meet the needs of the community locally and regionally.
- Developing cooperation with the Egyptian and foreign universities, encouraging scientific exchange, and paving the road towards studying and working abroad.
- Making the college a center for training and continuing education for its graduates and graduates of other dental colleges.
- Providing special care to scientific research and technological progress linked to community service.